Tuesday, January 24, 2006

January 20, 2006

...the McRib is back...

Last Meal: A McRib sandwich from McDonald's, a double cheeseburger from Wendy's, macaroni and cheese, cheesecake and a Pepsi.

The skinny: Simpson, 43, was executed for the 1984 beating death of a 92-year old retired minister.

More skinny: Simpson and his pregnant, sixteen-year-old girlfriend went for a walk to look for some money. The girlfriend went to the front door of the 92-year-old victim's house and rang the doorbell. She told the Reverend she was hungry, and the Reverand invited them in and gave them milk and a soft drink, sponge cake and peaches and $4 -- all the cash he had.

The next day, Simpson and the girl decided they would go back to the house after dark to get money. They rang the doorbell, and when the Reverendanswered the door, they forced their way inside. Simpson told the girl to cut the telephone cords, then forced the Reverend back to the bedroom, demanding money. When he said he had no money, Simpson choked him on the bed. When the Reverend said that if he was killed, he knew he was going to heaven, Simpson grabbed a belt, put it around his neck, then looped the other end around the bedpost and tightened it, all the while demanding money. Simpson called for the girl to come and hold the belt while he went in the kitchen to look for a weapon. He returned with an empty pop bottle, and beat the Reverend with it.

He then went into the bathroom and got a double-edged razor blade, slicing the Reverend's arms from the biceps all of the way down the under side of the forearms to the wrist. The girl gathered a bag of food, a porcelain lamp, a radio, and boxes of Kleenex. Upon arrest, Simpson made a complete confession, and at trial pled guilty to first degree murder. The jury returned a death sentence three times after the first two sentences were reversed on appeal. The girlfriend was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Last words and such: Simpson was moved into the execution chamber at 1:50 a.m. Though he seemed to acknowledge someone on the front row, smiling and nodding in recognition, he attempted to make little contact through the glass window separating the chamber and the viewing room. He looked at the ceiling as he spoke, his eyes opening and closing slowly behind a pair of thick glasses.

His last words: "I want to say I am sorry for what I did. I'm sorry for the victim and the families. I'm sorry for my family. I'm sorry for everybody. I want to say to Stephanie, I'm sorry for what happened to you. I wish you'd get out and make a life for yourself. May God bless everyone."

Factoids: Simpson was the...

2nd murderer executed in U.S. in 2006
1006th murderer executed in U.S. since 1976
1st murderer executed in North Carolina in 2006
40th murderer executed in North Carolina since 1976

Late Thursday, 14 protesters, some dressed in sackcloth to signify mourning, who tried to stop the execution were arrested in the crosswalk next to the Central Prison driveway. Most were among the group that made a similar attempt Dec. 1, the eve of the state's last execution. Last time, protesters got about 15 feet down the prison driveway. This time, they were stopped by prison guards, metal barricades and State Capitol Police.

Last week, the Wake County District Attorney's Office dropped charges against those who protested in December. Officials said prosecuting 17 people who feel morally obligated to protest executions was a poor use of limited court resources.