Friday, November 03, 2006

October 18, 2006

...Wilcher asked for a conjugal visit with a woman who had been a juror in one of his trials, but the request was denied....

Last Meal: Wilcher had a final request of two dozen jumbo fried shrimp with tarter sauce and ketchup, two large orders of fried onion rings and french fries, one raw regular onion, six pieces of garlic bread, two cold 32 oz. Cokes, two 32 oz. strawberry milkshakes. The request for his final meal is similar to what he ordered in July. Wilcher said his plan is to share the meal with prison personnel, but the prison commissioner said he won't allow that.

Wilcher declined breakfast and drank only coffee. Wilcher's last meal was served at 12:45 p.m. instead of the traditional 4 p.m. It was moved for logistical purposes to allow more time for things such as a haircut for Wilcher.

The skinny: Bobby Glen Wilcher was executed for the brutal killings of two women in Mississippi in 1982.

More skinny: Wilcher met the two victims at a bar and at closing time persuaded the women to take him home. Under this pretext, he directed the women down a deserted service road in a National Forest where he robbed and brutally murdered the women by stabbing them a total of 46 times.

Thereafter, Wilcher was stopped for speeding between 1:00 and 2:00 a.m. He was alone and was driving one victim's car. The victims' purses and one victim's brassiere were on the back seat. Wilcher was covered in blood; he had a bloody knife in his back pocket that had flesh on the blade. Wilcher explained his condition by telling the policeman that he had cut his thumb while skinning a possum. The officer followed Wilcher to the hospital, where Wilcher's wound was cleaned and covered with a band-aid. Another officer was called to the hospital to observe Wilcher, the knife, the car, the purses, and the brassiere. The officers left the hospital on an emergency call. Wilcher went home. The next morning, he abandoned the car at an apartment complex. Wilcher also threw the victims' purses and some of the victims' clothing in a ditch. He was arrested later that day. The victims' jewelry was subsequently found in Wilcher's bedroom.

Close: In July, Wilcher received a last-minute reprieve from the U.S. Supreme Court after the court said it needed more time to consider the case.

Leading up to: Wilcher on Wednesday asked for a conjugal visit with a woman who had been a juror in one of his trials, but the request was denied. Wilcher and the woman had developed a friendship. She was allowed a non-contact visit with Wilcher, along with his attorney and a paralegal. However, his lawyer said Wilcher did not ask for a conjugal visit. He said Wilcher sought a "contact" visit with the woman, which means they could speak in the same room. "This is very different from a conjugal visit, which clearly has sexual connotations....the Commissioner knows the difference."

Notes from the prison: Inmate Wilcher ate his last meal at approximately 12:45 p.m. today and took a shower at 4:15 p.m. He has requested no sedative and has chosen not to participate in communion. Inmate Wilcher remains under observation. As reported earlier, Wilcher is somber and quiet. Wilcher got only an hour of sleep Tuesday night because he was writing goodbye letters.

Last words and such: Wilcher said before his execution that he didn't want a sedative but changed his mind as the time neared.

He was strapped to a gurney with nine wide, tan leather straps. He was dressed in a red prison jumpsuit and white socks. A big man who weighed between 315 and 345 pounds, Wilcher's long dark hair was clean and combed, his goatee streaked with white.

Wilcher said only three words during the final 11 minutes of his life. Offered a chance to make a final statement, he said: "I have none.

At his request, none of Wilcher's family attended his execution.

Factoids: Wilcher was the...

45th murderer executed in U.S. in 2006
1049th murderer executed in U.S. since 1976
1st murderer executed in Mississippi in 2006
8th murderer executed in Mississippi since 1976

It took 24 years for Wilcher's execution to be carried out

About eight anti-death penalty activists gathered on the penitentiary grounds before the execution.