Wednesday, December 11, 2002

NORTH CAROLINA LAST MEAL
DESMOND CARTER
December 10, 2002

Grub is cheap on death row!


Last Meal: Carter's last meal consisted of two cheeseburgers, a steak sub and two Cokes from the prison canteen. He declined to ask for a special last meal and paid $4.20 from his prison account for the food.

The skinny: Carter stabbed his elderly neighbor over a few dollars for drugs. Carter was intoxicated on alcohol, crack cocaine and tranquilizers when he stabbed Purdy 13 times with a butcher knife and took $15.

Last words and such: "I love you, pop," Carter mouthed to his father.

In a last statement recorded by the warden, Carter said: "The only thing I would like to say is that I apologize to the victim's family of Ms. Purdy and I would like to apologize to my family for the disappointment and pain I have caused them throughout my life."

THE HEATHENS!: The U.S. Supreme Court denied anappeal filed late Monday on the grounds that some jurors used a Bible during deliberations.

Factoids: Carter spent part of his last evening watching TV, requesting to see the "Billboard Music Awards" on Fox.

Carter was the 23rd person executed in North Carolina since the death penalty was reinstated in 1977.