Tuesday, July 06, 2004

GEORGIA LAST MEAL
ROBERT KARL HICKS
July 1, 2004


...crescent rolls...

Last Meal: Hicks had a final meal of fish, shrimp, french fries, cole slaw, crescent rolls, chocolate cake, a vanilla milk shake and a Coke. He did not finish eating any of the items.

The skinny:Hicks, 47, was executed for slitting a woman's throat in 1985. Hicks stabbed the woman eight times with a pocket knife, slit her throat and left her partially nude body in a field.

The slaying took place nine months after he was released from prison on a rape conviction.

At trial, Hicks unsuccessfully pleaded insanity.

He later said that somebody else killed her.

Last words and such: A Department of Corrections spokeswoman said in the hours leading up to the execution, he was nervous and talkative but not combative.

In his final statement, Hicks apologized for everything he did. "I'm sorry for my part in all of this. I would like to apologise for everything I did. I’m sorry. God forgive me." His last words were “Come get me”, after a clergyman said a short prayer.

Factoids: Hicks was the...

32nd murderer executed in U.S. in 2004
917th murderer executed in U.S. since 1976
1st murderer executed in Georgia in 2004
35th murderer executed in Georgia since 1976