Saturday, August 28, 2004

TEXAS LAST MEAL
JASEN BUSBY
August 25, 2004

..."he had sold his soul to the devil...

Last Meal: Busby requested fried chicken breasts, jalapenos, barbecue ribs, catfish with tartar sauce, a medium steak, french fries with ketchup, plain M&M's candy, cherries, strawberries, and a peach. He also had milk mixed with chocolate syrup.

The skinny: Busby, 28, was put to death by lethal injection for murdering two teen-agers while high on drugs in 1995 in a Jacksonville, Texas, mobile home. He also critically wounded another.

More skinny: Busby went to buy donuts for breakfast. When Busby returned, he was accompanied by Darrell Smith. Some members of the group, including Busby, took turns shooting an assault rifle outside the cabin and smoking marijuana. Around ten o’clock that night, Busby and Smith went outside the trailer. The male victim, who was still inside the trailer, heard them loading a gun, then was shot as he opened the door. Busby then shot two others. Busby took the man's wallet, car keys, and $15.00, then drove off in his truck with Smith.

The police took Busby and Smith into custody within an hour after an officer spotted the truck on the highway nearby. Busby had a clip of bullets in his pocket, and later admitted to the shootings. The male victim, who survived the shooting, testified that three days before the shootings Busby said that he had sold his soul to the devil.

Last words and such: In a final statement while strapped to a gurney in the death chamber, Busby thanked his family and spoke to one of the victim's parents.

"I want to tell everyone, my family, thanks for standing by me. I want to tell Mr. and Mrs. Gray and everyone that I didn't do what I did to hurt you all. I am sorry that I did what I did. I don't think you know the true reason for doing what I did, but Brandy and I had a suicide pact and I just didn't follow through with it. That did not come out in the trial. I am not trying to hurt you by telling you this. I am trying to tell you the truth. I want Cindy to know that I know she is out there - and Vicente Hernandez that I love them. Thank you for all you have done and I want to make sure you are all right. After saying that, Busby said he was ready and that he would "see you later." Busby remarked as the lethal drugs begin to flow, "Here it comes. I can feel it." He took a couple of breaths, closed his eyes and then slipped into unconsciousness.

Factoids: Busby was the...
40th murderer executed in U.S. in 2004
925th murderer executed in U.S. since 1976
11th murderer executed in Texas in 2004
324th murderer executed in Texas since 1976