Monday, January 19, 2009

SOUTH CAROLINA LAST MEAL
Joseph M.L. Gardner
December 5, 2008


Last/Special Meal: Gardner had no final meal request.

Last words and such: In a written statement, Gardner wrote "I would like to apologize to the family and loved ones of Melissa McLauchlin for taking her from them and causing them so much pain. I was 22 years old then, and I am 38 now. While I have always been sorry for what I did, the passage of time has allowed me to mature, reflect and experience spiritual growth in ways that were foreign to me as a young man. I have repented for what I have done, and I am very grateful to the many people who have prayed with me and for me over the years and in my final days. I deeply regret that my actions deprived Ms. McLauchlin of the chance to marry, have children and experience life with God. I have spent years praying for her, and I encourage all people of faith to do the same."